Offline Map Guide
This guide explains how to change the radius of the cached area for an offline use and how to cache elevation data only – to use with a custom map overlay.
To change the cache radius for an offline map:
- Open map.xml file in the directory:
- C:\Users\~YOUR USERNAME~\ AppData\Local\UGCS\ configuration\client
- Look for the line:
<parameter name.="cacheRadius" type.="int" value.="1000" />
This value is in meters and maximum allowed radius is 10000m
- Change the value as necessary, but take notice that the caching can take up significant disk space, so it is recommended to make sure there is enough space available or consider changing the cache directory by editing these lines:
<parameter name.="cache directory" type.="string" value.="C:/Users/USER_NAME/ AppData/Local/UGCS/ db/MapTiles_Cache" />
<parameter name.="cache directory" type.="string" value.="C:/Users/AppData/ AppData/Local/UGCS/db/ HeightmapTiles_Cache" />
- Save the map.xml file and restart UgCS client
- Accordingly, change the maximum cache size in UgCS client – go to Main Menu/Configuration/3D map cache and change the Cache size (MB) parameter. It is recommended to set it to at least 3000 or 5000 MB.
To cache elevation data only
For cases where map data is not necessary (for example, custom map overlay is available) the following steps must be done to cache elevation data only:
- Add a custom map overlay
- Upload some overlay data to the newly created source
- Set the custom overlay as Base
- Now use the “Offline map” feature.
Congratulations, you have successfully cached Elevation data only. Note, that elevation can be cached much faster than the overlay and it is possible to cache a much larger area of elevation data.